Sunday, September 16, 2012

Fall is in the air

Chilly mornings have required space heaters, we are getting some color in the leaves, the plants are hardening off, homegrown tomatoes are ripe. It is feeling definitely like fall and  I love it.  The doggies are frisky and fuzzy. As the time for going south gets nearer I find myself trying to imprint the mountains on my soul and rushing a little to get time with my friends.The smoke continues and this time I can see the flames in the mountains. Ash is settling in the yard.  I am tired of that.

 As I am a gestalt-ish person, the preps to go and the buttoning up are ongoing in 12 different directions . I have decided to build a short fence to discourage visitors. Guy is going to help me haul my trash bags to the dump.  Guy and Janet had their annual pancake breakfast-Janet's sourdough pancake starter is more than 20 years old and makes great pancakes. Mrs. Gillette brought wild currant syrup and Janet's mom made old-fashioned syrup. Very nice people to be with.  They had a date to go help at a cattle gathering  near Midwest, WY so I fed their doggies and kitties Friday-Sunday.. My dogs wanted so badly to get acquainted with their kitties.

The trips to Fort Washakie were semi-productive. Nothing to sign yet. I have done all I can do in conscience and whatever will be will be. (Cue up Doris Day)

Denis and Ida brought me wild salmon and monkfish from Denis's Sitka fishing trip as a birthday present.  The salmon was broiled with butter and lemon pepper and was delectable- baked potato and Janet's homegrown tomatoes. Living high on occasion.

Jason called this evening. They are undertaking a massive remodel at their house. He told me I could dawdle awhile longer as they might well be spending some time at my house. It took a little pressure off because I was workng toward a deadline about a week away. I am happy here and I am happy there- so very lucky, am I.    

Matt is busy canning and preserving-he discovered drying habanera peppers is equivalent to spraying bear spray in the house. He is really into the urban gardening thing (and the eating well, thing)

I watched the whole Ring of the Nibelung on PBS. It was amazing in parts-kind of an endurance test in others. I had heard so much over the years about this music and how it inspired Hitler's Germany. It struck me that it could as easily been read as anti-authoritarian as well. Perhaps seditious. Glad  I got this 12 hour opportunity.  Have been reading the Hunger Games trilogy. PBS's Wallendar mysteries with Kenneth Branagh is good though my reading of the books renders a better Kurt Wallendar.