Thursday, January 10, 2013

Broken Distributor Cap

Life has gone on since I last blogged-very nice holidays and lots of fun.  The fall I have mentioned in addition to hurt bones and muscle, fractured a lead on my fancy heart device. For awhile I would be perking along and then all of a sudden "run out of gas," then need to sit or nap. I made a regular appointment with my Electrophysiologist for a routine checkup and they discovered the atrial lead  was working only when I held my arm and mouth in just the right way. Since then it has quit entirely. I am back to my own devices and a pulse rate of 45-50 bpm as opposed to my paced rate of 70.   So a "procedure" was scheduled and I went into the Boca hospital and was out on the operating table and they took a picture.  Seems my ventricular leads were both in the right chamber.  The fix for the atrial lead was to add a new one and leave the old wire in place. Three leads would have clogged the pipe too much. So I am now scheduled for a procedure that includes a cardiac surgeon who goes in and removes the old wires and implants new ones.  Have to go to Holy Cross hospital for that on the 28th of January. Friend Bonnie who types medical reports say this procedure is common and mostly successful.

Meanwhile I am in no distress but am running about "half." Tire easily, get light headed, but can conduct most of the activities of daily living.  I was really kind of relieved to find there was something wrong because I spent most of the fall thinking I was just failing-the curtain was falling or this old chassis was headed for the junk yard.  There may be a more lively chapter or two ahead.