Monday, November 21, 2011

Early Snowbirds

Jeanne and Marc finally arrived after a forced 15 day stay in Cecil, Georgia. Their transmission tribulations were finally ended with a remanufactured tranny from Ford-guaranteed for three years. Needless to say, they were very relieved and happy to finally be in their winter home. They treated me to a very pleasant evening-canapes, sparkling wine, and a chicken dinner. It was very nice to see them. It had been months since I was in good old John Prince Campground so I took a little spin around the place. It is only just starting to fill. Many happy days spent there but I have to admit setting up and tearing down were lots of work. I like where I am and can go visit.

I have been finding plenty to do around here. Nu-Turf nursery got three visits. Sodding some places where otherwise, the doggies like to dig themselves little depressions in the dirt to rest their bones. That is just fine until they come in the house. Florida has the dirtiest dirt-it is like silt. The pups like their grassy spots too. I can't seem to go to the nursery without leaving with some extras. The Mandevilla vine isn't doing much. The Morning Glory is really taking off as they are wont to do. Some rose bushes are doing all right.

I have been doing experimental cooking- rice cooker and steamer are getting most of the action as eating healthy suggests alternative methods and foods. I'll try to cook for my friends healthy, tasty stuff.

Lori and Trish are in Texas for Thanksgiving. They wanted to see Casey play basketball and have family time. Jason is here, in the final throes of selling the house next door. The inspection suggested some minor fix ups so he is doing those. He got his asking price and the new owners are ecstatic with it. They sound like they will be good neighbors. Time will tell. He and I have invitations for Thanksgiving but we may still bolt and cook our own.

I have been reading from the Classic Mysteries Collection and am kind of fascinated with Mary Roberts Rinehart. Plots are kind of melodramatic but she is excellent with character and culture and mores, and human nature. She was widowed fairly early in her life and became a literary powerhouse-like Stephen King except in the early part of the last century. She got into publishing-she is the Rinehart in Holt Rinehart and Winston. Quite a lady she was.
Posted by Picasa