Thursday, May 6, 2010

Branding

Staying busy helps cope with a loss. Blessedly, Janet invited me to take pictures of their branding. Honey had to stay in the van and barked incessantly but her mind was occupied too. She met some other working dogs-with real jobs. I met some new faces too. Hollis is seeing Cyndy whom I know. Cyndy's sister Sara came too. They did most of the roping and riding until a shift change was declared. These women are phenomenal: Pretty, wholesome, and so capable. I told Hollis they make me feel inadequate. He said that is why he likes to hang with them-if he gets in trouble he has backup. The horses and horsemanship, male and female is excellent. There has to be a unity between horse and rider to rope off a horse, get a heel, drag to the head rack, and stand with the right amount of tension to keep the calves immobilized and not pull their heads off. No room for error.


In addition to overseeing tagging and actually vaccinating all the calves, Janet had a hearty branding lunch on the stove. The operation is setup and coordinated by Guy with help from Hollis. A big undertaking and we had a cool but windless day to do it.You will meet others in the web album:

Wyoming Branding Givens 2010

My little brother frets over me and Valerie is in Hawaii helping her daughter recuperate from a rib removal so I got four calls. Yesterday was mom's birthday and we had some nice memories to share. Loss is a part of life. You just have to be so grateful for what you had. Nicole and Andre Skyped from Quebec. Andre carried the computer all over the condo showing me their house and Nicole's marvelous paintings. She really is quite talented. They had heard about Buster from Jeanne. People have been so very kind with calls and messages. I feel like I am getting my equilibrium back.

Now if the weather would turn nice-we had snow last night, that would bring a lifting of spirits all around.

Posted by Picasa