Saturday, June 5, 2010

Home-steading on the range

 

Since Thursday, productivity, as the weather continues fair: I prevailed on Thayne to haul some lumber for me in his truck since he had business in town. The cedar lattice wall on my porch's porch had gotten pretty sad. I got to thinking about when it went up and Linda Vogel was here that day. She hadn't met Ben yet and their son ran for Mayor two years ago so I guess I got my money's worth out of the stuff. I stained the new lattice and while waiting for it to cure, laboriously took the old lattice apart trying to preserve the handsome growth of Engleman Ivy that grew through it. I was largely successful. The new lattice is up-almost level without Linda eyeballing it as I hanged it. Looks nice and smells better than that. Should be the last time for that chore.

The weedwhacker mower was moribund. I tinkered with it but the primer bulb had rotted completely. Visited Jack's Saw Shop where they were ever so helpful. I scoped out a new one for $299.99 but thought spare parts were worth a try and got the old one spinning like a top for under $12.00. The race is on because with things bursting into bloom, getting the weeds "topped" will save lots of labor later.

Morning coffee on the deck starts my day so nicely. Being on a migration path brings birds here. I saw a Western Tanager, some Goldfinches and a Redwing Blackbird who performed an amazing little dance for me. I decided to get a couple of birdfeeders and see if I can attract and photograph them instead of stealing images from the web. I got a "squirrel proof" feeder. We'll see. If the squirrels come calling it will entertain the dog.

The Little Wind River is leaving its banks in places. There is still lots of snow on the Wind Rivers. It could get interesting.

Friday I took lunch to Delores. We had a great visit and Mike joined us for awhile at their office, my old, old office. Delores looks great. She has let her hair go white. It was white 30 years ago but her son Greg's classmates asked her if she was Greg's grandmother and that brought on 25 years of coloration. I often took my dogs to the office and the place is still pet-friendly. Honey had a good snoop and flirted with the Psychologist. I brought a sandwich for her fuzzface, too.

The last Stieg Larsson book-The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, was finally translated and in Kindle format. It was as quirky and gripping as the other two. Hard to put down so I didn't. Alas, he delivered the trilogy to his publisher and dropped dead a few days later. He never got around to marrying his long time girlfriend. Under Swedish law, his father and brother from whom he was estranged are reaping the profits. She gets zip. And he was one of the most feminist-friendly authors-ever. Go figure.  His last words were "Christ! I'm only 52!"
Posted by Picasa