Monday, July 12, 2010

Happy Bird Day

Grackles are good parents as I mentioned before. The top bird is an offspring of the other two. He was perched and opening his mouth to be fed and his mother was industrious in feeding the big baby. He's as big as she is.
Often, I do not know what I am looking at until I get the picture blown up. Then, often I don't know what I am looking at either. This one looks robin-like but is smaller and I have never seen a robin on the feeders especially a finch feeder. I suspect it is an oriole but I don't know that.
This is a black crested something or other. If you can help, email me at the usual place. Same with the one below which may well be a...I am not going to guess. I'm not being lazy about this. I have been on the Cornell ornithology site. In any case, I am seeing a few new faces at the feeder which encourages me because I am nearly at the end of 65 pounds of birdseed and I need some new faces to keep me interested. The same old, same olds do look mahvelous, simply mahvelous, because they are getting top grub.

Tye Eric is feeding the cattle with grandpa Harlan. Every morning he stops the pickup at the bottom of my hill and bangs on it until I come out to visit for awhile. It is good for him to try to communicate and he certainly wants to but I am frequently mystified. He is a happy little guy except when he throws a tantrum. I thanked Harlan this morning because Honey found a nice pile of green bullshit to roll in. I am not cross with her but it does make me cross. Between brushing and sponging she is better if not pristine. I have been busy trying to keep things watered. Under my canopy it is probably 10 or 20 degrees cooler than the rest of the countryside but at a cost of heavy transpiration by the trees. We got some water in the ditch this afternoon and Honey was ready for it. She runs in it and cools herself off. Before long, the water will start to sub and the trees on the oasis will prosper.

The Sundance is about to commence. It is going to be toasty during the day as dancers dance to exhaustion. I think I could do it in ten minutes flat...tops. I have never gone. It is a sacred rite to the Natives and it just doesn't feel right to me. The makeshift road is getting a lot of use. I sat in the cool evening air and watched a steady stream of vehicles lights going both ways as families haul their mattresses and tents and willow branches for traditional houses to the sacred grounds. Eventually it will be nearly a square mile of temporary city. They even cancelled Bingo for the duration. This is serious business.
Posted by Picasa