Friday, July 9, 2010

My Little Valley

The tribes have opened and graded a dirt road that allows an alternate route to town. It is no prize but it affords a vista of the valley that has been closed for years so I took the camera and the dog to shoot a few shots. A beautiful spot for a hermit to live, eh? A car passed me and stopped just where I wanted to shoot. A Native American jumped out and took a whiz. Then he came over to chat. He saw my pill bottle of "traveling meds" and wanted to know about pain-killers. I offered a diabetes pill. It is hard to get your head around the reality and ideal of rez life. There are noble traditions which I admire and realities which turn my stomach. Just like the American Culture at large.

The trip was not a necessity-today's is. But I will take the big van and the air conditioning today and drive the highway. UPS made it clear they will deliver here under duress until the road is fixed. When I came back from town Tribal Police and the Sheriff's Office had somebody stopped on the dirt road. Litter is starting to make its appearance.

I am still churning through two books a day. I have been immersed in the works of J.S. Fletcher. He wrote mystery adventure romances of his era which was turn of the last century England. Much better use of the language than today but I have been collecting idioms that are still in use: "too many irons in the fire," "needle in a haystack." My favorite (politically incorrect one) "to watch him is like offering chickens to a nigger. He fairly revels in it." The prejudices of the day are many in evidence but the sites: manors and country inns, and teeming city slums and fancy hotels are a nice bit of territory to visit, the plots are serpentine, motorcars are a novelty, dog carts, taxis and pony traps are conveyances, walking 5 miles is common, women are intuitive but spunky and a wedding is announced at the end of all.
Posted by Picasa