Monday, August 30, 2010

Iron Man

Truth to tell, I have been on a bit of a slide lately. As we age it is hard to tell what is age and what is sick. I'm not telling what got me searching the Web, but I researched what I felt were abnormalities and discovered a few things. I get a little put out with myself. I have an array of supplements and a lot of knowledge of them but no real plan for staying at peak. I believe supplements are invaluable but too much of a good thing makes it less of a good thing so I don't really have a regimen per-se. Aside from my senior multi-vitamin I don't take very much daily. One thing led to another and I found myself back at "anemia." Too much iron can put some folks at risk. But having nothing to lose, I popped two yesterday-one early and one late, and was amazed at how much better I felt within hours. Further research led me to the observation that 30% of people who take metformin for diabetes end up anemic within three years. That is me. My bloodwork last fall indicated it was mild. I think it went from mild to not so good. Perked up I am.

Definitely perked up and not anemic are the doggies, though they get their iron shot from liver, which I fixed them last night. They are napping now but they were out the door at  7:00 and played pretty much constantly until just a few minutes ago. They both benefit from the exercise. I benefit from the quiet time. (and the entertainment). Buddy is thriving which is very gratifying. Honey is very happy with a playmate and a "little brother" to lead and protect.  Their squabbles so far have not been more than warning grrrs.

I made an album for Buddy's story:

http://picasaweb.google.com/sroberts.wyoming/BuddySStory#

The weather has been unsettled. There is a hint of fall in the air. The birds are getting scarce and I am winding down the feeding (after 130 lbs. of bird seed) not wanting to encourage them to become too dependent because I will be going south too. I got my same spot at John Prince: the laundromat is finished, and there will be a dog run where the doggies can run free. The Florida kids are cruising with old friends. Eve has Skype now so I talked with a grumpy Audrey. The d-i-v-o-r-c-e is taking its toll. She is not liking the back and forth living arrangement. Matt hasn't been available to talk on the phone. I think it may be getting heavy up there. After the bridge is fixed I will get the van attended to and go for a visit. Logistically it is just not feasible now. If the van has to stay overnight I am faced with finding somebody to haul me 200 miles.